Sending the pup off to someone specific by name. If you want to teach the pup to go to Billy, instead of the regular release you would point to Billy as you say “go to Billy.” Billy should call the pup right after you tell the pup who he should go to.
Another variation of this game that is loads of fun for you and your puppy is Round Robin with Hide and Go Seek games.
Johnny calls Spot. When Spot gets to Johnny, he is rewarded with a wonderful game of find it! Then Susie calls Spot. When Spot gets to Susie he is rewarded with a fabulous game of retrieve! Then Johnny calls Spot and when Spot goes to Johnny, he has to search for him because Johnny is hiding behind the chair. When the puppy finds him they roll on the floor in celebration plus he gets a tasty treat! Your puppy will be very proud of himself for being such a strong and stealthy hunter!
The variations on this game are limited only by your imagination. The beautiful thing about this sort of game, as well as it being an important training session, is that “come” starts to take on a very positive meaning for your puppy! These games teach one of the principal obedience cues to your pup, a word that may mean the difference between his life and death someday.
- If the puppy is reluctant to leave someone after the next person has called him, the person who he is still with should stand up and turn their back to the pup.
- If the puppy is having trouble at the beginning of the game, people should stay relatively close together and sit on the ground or squat low, open your arms wide to look warm and inviting. A high silly animated voice is a good bet or, if you really need to, a squeaky toy may do the trick.
- Your intonation should be relaxed, warm, and inviting. It is not necessary to screech the cue to the dog. Use a silly animated voice if you need to get the puppy into the game.
- Before the pup is called away from someone, the person they are currently with should release them.
- Remember to vary the order in which people call the puppy, otherwise the puppy will get bored and anticipate.