Recall: The Golden Rules
Always work in an environment that is secure for your puppy. Use a long line, good food, and a tug toy.
- Never punish your dog for coming to you, no matter how long it may have taken him to get there.
- Only call when you know your puppy WILL come running.
- Always give your puppy a treat for coming – or, even better, 5 tiny treats.
- Your body posture counts – Bend down or squat and open your arms or run away from them.
- Keep your intonation positive, and smile when you call them. A rapidly repeated high-pitched sound or call such as pup-pup-puppy is often attractive to a puppy.
- Avoid chasing your puppy.
- Running in the opposite direction away from the puppy, clapping your hands, and acting as silly as possible, will usually get him chasing you!
- Release the pup quickly and enthusiastically after he has come back to you. “Go Play!”
- Be mindful of what happens after you call your puppy. It should be something they enjoy.