The progression of these exercises will go as follows:
- On and off of the couch, reinforce for getting off the couch.
- On and off of the bed, reinforce for getting off the bed.
- In and out of the kitchen, reinforce for leaving the kitchen.
- On and off of an examination table, reinforce for being lifted and placed on a table.
- In and out from under furniture, reinforce for coming out from underneath.
Teach your puppy that it always pays to get out or off of a spot that he may deem important.
- Repeat this exercise often, practicing with locations specific to your own situation.
- Do not omit these exercises just because you do not plan to ever allow your dog on the furniture.
- You will physically put the puppy on a table to simulate a vet examination. (Please read the Simulated Vet Exam for a more comprehensive description of this particular exercise.)
- Be mindful of high couches and beds and prevent the puppy from jumping off on their own. Create a stepping platform with cushions.