If at any time during socializing the puppy is frightened (tries to run away, tucks his tail underneath flat against his belly, or attempts to snap at you, follow the guidelines below:
- Jolly him up with a silly voice, a treat, or a game.
- If a situation is overwhelming to the puppy, back away from the site until the puppy is relaxed again.
- Start from this point to build up the pup’s confidence.
- Gradually get closer to the stimuli.
- Your ultimate goal is for your puppy to be comfortable and confident around stimuli that was previously scary to him.